Monday, October 24, 2011

: Eye Opener :: Environmental Working Group :

Cosmetics....the first thing that came to mind when reading this was the vast array of make-up that I don't even own.  However, the EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics website has such a wide variety of products that I was surprised at just how many of the products I actually do use. Everything from the shampoo I currently use to my toothpaste to the lip balm I prefer. While I think many of these items are okay for every day use, there was one item that I never seem to leave home without that probably is not the best for my body or the environment. That one item would be my little bottle of super glue.

Everyone always comments on how good my nails look...well, here's my confession....the reason I wear fake nails is because I am a horrible nail biter. I have been since I was a little kid. The fake nails hid the ugliness that are my nails. I have tried for years to quit being a nail biter, but nothing ever seems to work...but I digress...back to the product at hand. I choose to look at the nail glue I use for adhering fake nails to my fingers, Nailene Ultra Quick Nail Glue. On the hazard score key, this product is listed as a moderate hazard. It has a fair about of data available pertaining to the ingredient safety and the number of studies that are available in the open scientific literature.

The Nailene Ultra Quick Nail glue has three ingredients: Ethyl-2-cranoacrylate, Polymethyl methacrylate, and hydroquinone. The one ingredient that scared me the most is the hydroquinone. Out of a possible 10 on the hazard scale it scores a 10, meaning it has the highest level of risk associated with it. Phrases that were used in the descriptions of it included
  • Known human immune, respiratory, nervous system, and organ system toxicant (non-reproductive)
  • Strong evidence of human neurotoxicity
  • Possible carcinogen
  • Classified as a high human health priority
  • Mutagenic 
  • Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
AND THAT WAS ONLY ONE OF the three ingredients. I was too scared to see what the other two would say.  Looks like I have two choices after reviewing the information on this nail glue.....either work really hard at not biting my nails...or switching to a different brand of nail glue. The Kiss Maximum Speed Nail glue is rated as a LOW health concern (it also only has one ingredient...ethyl-2-cranoacrylate).

I'm definitely bookmarking this webpage for future research on products that are used in our household. I'll even encourage my friends to check out the cosmetic products that they purchase. I have some friends that would like to know if the products they use are tested on animals. With just a quick glance at some of my daily products, I was surprised to see many of them were tested on animals. ICK....time to do some shopping for new products.


2 comments:

A. Johnson said...

Yikes, it's crazy the types of chemicals that we use in beauty.

Nicole said...

I agree with Alex, it's crazy the types of chemicals we use in beauty that we probably didn't think twice about. Also you're nails do always look really good, and going from having fake nails to regular ones is a tough switch, I hated when I first took mine off, but this could turn into your next SMART goal, and working on not biting your nails could be just a component of it.