Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My SMART Goal

Photo from MomGoesGreen.com
I have been thinking about my Eco-Chic Lifestyle change SMART goal for the past couple of weeks, but last night while cleaning my kitchen I FINALLY nailed down what I want to focus on. I had an over abundance of plastic bags from Super One, Wal-Mart, Target littering my kitchen counters and drawers. Plastic bags are so convenient whenever I go to the store. As a busy mom, my time is limited. Being able to throw stuff in a plastic bag and haul several bags in the house at a time saves precious time. Yet, the downfall of all these bags is that even though they are recyclable, they do still end up in our waterways where they affect fish, turtles, and other water life. 

Therefore, my SMART goal is:
  • Over the next ten weeks, I will only use reusable bags at least three times a week while shopping at the grocery store or super stores such as Wal-Mart or Target.
My greatest fear is checking out at the grocery store and realizing that I forget my reusable bags in my truck. My backup plan will be putting the groceries back into the cart and packing bags when I get to my truck. I feel that this is an important behavior change that many people should make. Not only will we be saving the our landfills from being littered with them, but we will also be saving all the water life that are dying after becoming trapped in these hazards. 

FYI.....I did purchase my first reusable bag last night while at Wal-Mart. I only had a few items and ALL Wal-Mart offers is plastic bags. =)

4 comments:

Kristen@TheWeighToWellness said...

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=plastic+bags

This is a link to projects that focus on recycling plastic bags...ENJOY!

The Johnson said...

This is a great SMART goal to have. I myself struggle with plastic bags, they're just so convenient. That said, there's always been a little voice in the back of my head telling me that I should make the switch over to reusable bags. I hope this project works out well for you and can serve as a guide for me to make the bag transition for myself!

Nicole said...

I need to do this too, Alina! I ALWAYS get plastic bags wherever I go with the intention of using them for my garbage bags in bathrooms and stuff, but under my sink is overflowing with these bags, I'll never use them all. I have a couple reusable bags and I really need to be conscious about bringing them with me when I go shopping.

Haley@AdventureswithHaley said...

Great goal! This is something that I can start to do in my life as well. My mom does not use plastic bags anymore, and don't worry she made many trips to the store without her bags but managed to figure something out! Good luck with your first week!